Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Story

Within the month after graduation, I went out on a limb and moved 3.5hrs away to the twin cities (Minneapolis, St. Paul) and surrounding areas. I was convicted of my decision while everyone around me thought I was crazy (except my parents; who had come to trust my decisions). With all the questions and confused stares, and even suggestions on better ways to go, I still held with my decision.

You see, early into college I realized my choice in a small town and college may not have been the best for me. I looked forward to the time I would spread my wings. Moreover, with biology and chemistry as my majors and neuroscience as my minor, I realized Moorhead did not offer a lot of opportunities. I mean: the options where basic; you either find a psych tech position, take a course and become a CNA (certified nursing assistant) or scramble for the limited lab aide jobs at neighboring schools NDSU and MSUM. I wanted something else. Possibly a position where I could do more research and actual lab work, or maybe another position where I could be exposed to all things clinical and health related. I wanted to be more experienced and better my chances of getting into graduate school or medical school. Money was not a factor, but it helped convince other people. I wasnted to find my niche and passion.

The twin cities was the closest big town to me. It had a well functioning airport to encourage my travel habits, had all sorts of labs and scientific opportunities, options and everything I was looking for. Yet, it was small enough when I wanted it to be. So after 4packing trips, rejecting a lab position at NDSU, scores of money and uncountable confrontations later, I finally moved to the cities around the 7th/14th of June.

I arrived and shortly realized how much I hated my apartment. But I had rent, utilities and other bills to take care of and NO JOB!

Reality Struck

No comments: